Sunday, September 11, 2005

Back from vacation

Well I'm back. I had a nice vacation and managed not to let my in-laws bother me too much. We got back Thursday night because I had to teach Friday morning. Friday was older son's last day of daycare, so as we were pulling in to the driveway Thursday night he asked if he could take cookies to school to celebrate. By chance I had a package of chocolate chips in the cupboard, so I said I would make cookies. Why don't men bake cookies? I don't know if it was the flour or the butter or what, but the cookies went flat. So I had to rush out at 6:30 Friday morning and buy cookies to take to school.

I was totally unprepared for class on Friday, but that is nothing to be ashamed of. I know, as do we all, that I won't get tenure for being a good teacher, and that time spent preparing for lessons is largely wasted. So I bluffed my way through yet another class, and it was good enough.

Next week I am going for training on my new instrument, so my husband will have to fend for himself. He has a golf tournament thingy on Monday while I'm away so he will have to either skip it or find someone to pick up the kids for him. I have offered to help him arrange something, but so far he hasn't done anything. I wash my hands of it. He's a big boy, he can arrange his own childcare.

The cruise in October is probably not going to happen because the boat is down in the Gulf helping out with the hurricane recovery. My student seems to be handling everything okay. They found her uncle alive, although he had not eaten in six days. Thank god he is well. I am sorely tempted to start talking politics here, but I will bite my tongue.

This coming Friday the head of one of my granting agencies is coming to give a seminar, so that we can stroke his ego and impress him with our abilities. I have class, so I will meet with him afterward. I am the only one of the research team on this project who has meaningful data to show him. So I have to spend some time practicing what I will say to him. And I will have to dress nicely for once. Two things I normally DON'T do to prepare for class.

1 Comments:

Blogger minomom said...

Gosh, you are such an engaged/engaging human being. I have only read a couple of your posts, and you have wittily communicated this complete scenario of person/parent/partner/professor functioning in the world. Now I want to know how it has been for you the last few years. You really have a great novel here!

7:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home