Friday, September 02, 2005

Vacation

Well, I'm off on vacation for a week. Today was the first day of class and I think it went well, although I'm guessing the students didn't like it much. I tried to practice a little "student centered learning" today by having the students in my lab class come up with their own list of criteria for how their lab reports will be graded. The result was a very broad list of criteria with little or no detail. I'm going to have them grade each other's lab reports using their list of criteria, and then after the first lab report, I'm going to give them a chance to change their criteria. I think it will be a big eye-opener for them to see how bad some of these initial lab reports are. They will get a chance to re-write the first lab report and have it re-graded under the new criteria, so their grade won't be affected much by what they did today. But the idea is that I made them think about what is important in a lab report. I also set up a blog for the class, and I asked them to post on it and give me feedback about the first day of class. We'll see what they have to say.

I got my older son into the after care program at his school (turns out my registration got lost in the mail but they have unlimited spots in the program). So that crisis is averted. It is looking more and more like I won't be able to go on the sampling cruise in October--it is just too difficult to work out the childcare, etc. And I arranged to spend Thanksgiving here instead of driving a full day out to see my parents, which will make going to the convention the week before Thanksgiving less burdensome. I'm keeping my head above water for now.

thinking very much of the people in New Orleans and the Gulf Coast. My new undergrad intern is from New Orleans and has at least one death and one missing person in her family. I'm praying for all of the victims and have sent donations into the Red Cross. God help us all.

1 Comments:

Blogger littlejoe said...

Like your site, I sure will bookmark it.
If you have a moment please visit my site:debt advice
joel

9:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home