Friday, March 17, 2006

My First PhD Student!

My first PhD student just finished her defense! Whahooooooo!

I'm so proud. I can't believe it is over. She did a really great job, too. I think I was more nervous than she was. I had trouble sleeping last night. But the committee was really very kind, and they all signed off on her dissertation and did not even insist on seeing another draft.

I know I won't get any more work done today, so the whole lab is going to go out drinking. Good chance to bond.

Now I can start worrying about my next student, who should defend by the end of the summer if he can pull it all together by then. And I have to prepare my re-appointment package and write a CAREER proposal. No big deal.

But for now I plan to rest on my laurels. Yay!

5 Comments:

Blogger Abel PharmBoy said...

Congratulations! A very, very happy day indeed!

I was the first PhD grad of my major prof and, lo and behold, he scored tenure two years later! Cause and effect? Well, it certainly didn't hurt.

You must be so proud of Amy - best wishes to her as well on her next step.

5:55 AM  
Blogger PhD Mom said...

Congratulations! I know that graduating a student is a major milestone on the tenure track.

2:11 PM  
Blogger Addy N. said...

Hi there!
I just started reading your blog recently- I am also a mom seeking tenure. Congratulations on your PhD student finishing! My department only has a Master's program, but my first student is finishing up this summer. Take care.

4:48 PM  
Blogger Tabitha Grimalkin said...

Great news!! Congrats to you both!!

12:34 PM  
Blogger liketothelark said...

Great blog! Enjoyed reading it very much. Came to find it via a couple of other female professor sites, via blog of the day.

Good luck with everything.

8:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home